Tuesday, November 11, 2014

How to revive Sharpie markers

I use Sharpie markers on a daily basis. I don't use it heavy enough that that I have to replace a marker every month. I have used the same mini-marker attached to my lanyard for the last 4 years. 
To be honest, the low replacement rate is probably because my workplace does supply markers, and I do make an effort to look for and use them before my trusty lanyard min-Sharpie. 
I remember once I didn't re-cap it properly.  Not only was it a huge drama for the mess it made inside my handbag and its contents, but it was also a well-defined dry period for my marker.  

I was excited to learn that acetone, the same stuff as nail polish remover, revives Sharpie markers! And BIC permanent markers.



The tip gets diluted and white, so you have to wait a few hours for the pigment to diffuse back to the tip. I am able to use the marker the next day.  

If you want immediate use, you could try
-laying the marker on its side and waiting a few hours
-shaking it 
-placing it in warm water to hasten the diffusion process (yay for those chemistry lessons after all!)

There is the noticeable smell of acetone when you use the marker. 

Different fancy markers have different solvents.  For example, Copic / Prisma uses alcohol. Others use more toxic substances.  Be careful while experimenting with solvents- they can be dangerous.  One marker reviver commented that the metal body of the marker distorted- that was the indication to him that he was using the wrong solvent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment