Monday, August 25, 2014

Old Holland Classic Watercolours

I went out today and wanted to try Old Holland Classic Watercolours. 
I bought the very special colours: Manganese Blue and Golden Barok Red, both single pigment unique colours not made by other manufacturers. 

Manganese Blus is famous for its granulation. When I used it, it certainly granulated beautifully.  ...Imagine all the snow-landscapes I can paint! My boyfriend thinks I am being silly because I see snow once every 5 years. It felt thick to load onto my brush.  When I tried to mix it with my two other new colours, it was just gross. This is a perfect example of one's strength being one's weakness.

Golden Barok Red is a unique colour. I was a bit grossed out when I squeezed out the tube and gross brown oily stuff came out. I bought their watercolour, not oilcolour.  Anyway, after I decided to give it a chance, by squeezing more out, it did turn out to be a beautiful colour. 

All in all, not impressed by Old Holland.  Have I been spoilt by gorgeous Daniel Smith and bright Winsor & Newton and gooey-licious Sennelier? I may be too harsh, despite it feeling like I'm messing my brush up, the colours are indeed special.

No comments:

Post a Comment