Thursday, August 7, 2014

Why Twistables?

Twistables.  

I remember thinking this was kind of a cool concept when they came out.  And I definitely wanted to own some.  I got some and wasn't so impressed.  Now they are everywhere.  de rigour.  Why? Aside from the novelty of twisting them?


Here are a few reasons they beat regular crayons: 
No sharpening
Don't break as easily as stick crayons, aren't so fragile
Good for environment if no wax/wood shavings?
Doesn't dirty little hands?
Maintain their length, so you don't end up with tiny knubs.


Disadvantages:
They are more expensive. 
They do generate more plastic waste. 
They're just student-grade crayons and disappoint if you want deep saturated colour.

I'm probably a bit harsh.  I don't even use normal crayons regularly, so why would I find a use for twistables? I bought a set of fluorescent ones, telling myself I would use them as highlighters.  I have barely touched them. 
I don't like the waxy texture.  
The blunt nib was think and I felt clumy writing with them.
I tried drawing with them.  They could not be scanned easily because they were so light. They were pretty cool as resists for watercolour painting.

Cool things to do with crayons: 
-Melt them in chocolate moulds for funnky shapes (lego men! hearts! robots!)
-Melt them into multi-coloured crayons
-Carve them
-Use as coloured wax seals

No comments:

Post a Comment